It often happens that your immune system thinks the skin is under attack when something touches it. However, anything touching the skin is not always harmful. In many cases, the immune system overreacts and immediately sends antibodies to help find the invader called an allergen. As a result, a red and itchy rash develops in the area where the object touches. This is also called contact dermatitis by the doctors. It is of two types:

  • Irritant contact dermatitis: Chemicals like harsh cleaners cause this condition.
  • Allergic contact dermatitis: An allergy trigger makes your body react in this condition.

The things that wouldn’t bother most others make people with allergies react. Allergens can be many substances found in everyday products. These can be anything from poison ivy-like plants to dyes and fragrances. Something in the air that settles on your skin can also cause an allergic reaction to it. These are objects like pollen, chemical sprays, powders, fibres or cigarette smoke. The name of this allergic condition is airborne contact dermatitis. There can be hives and swelling deep in your skin due to skin allergies. This is called angioedema. It is possible to lessen the itching and treat the rash if you consult an experienced dermatologist at the best polyclinic in Uttarpara.


After you come into contact with an object for the first time, it normally takes at least 10 days to become sensitive. When you don’t have an allergic reaction to a thing, you may touch it frequently without any problem. But you can have a reaction within a few minutes of coming into contact with that thing after you develop an allergy. Some common causes of allergy are fragrances, nickel, plants, cleaning products, latex and chemicals.


Skin tests are the best way to find out what you are sensitive to. These tests are properly done at the diagnostic centres in Uttarpara. A common one is a TRUE test. On your back, the doctor will apply a set of three panels. Each of them includes some patches with samples of possible allergens. The doctor takes them off after 2 days to check for any reactions. However, it can take up to 10 days for some reactions to show up. There may be the need for a ROAT test if there is a mild reaction in any patch test. This test needs you to put the suspected allergen on the skin for several days in the same spot for several days. The doctor can confirm or rule out your sensitivity as a result of this. In order to find metal objects having enough nickel to cause a reaction, there is the use of the dimethylglyoxime test.


Prevention is the best method to remain safe from contact dermatitis. Try to avoid the object that is causing your rash. If an allergic reaction develops, the doctor may ask you to do the following:

  • Apply Hydrocortisone cream
  • Apply calamine lotion
  • Use cold compresses
  • Use antihistamines

The doctor can also prescribe stronger medicines for you if needed.